Monday, February 20, 2017

Doing What I Gotta Do

Getting older I am learning things, most especially that societal norms don't typically work for me.  I tend to march to the beat of my own drum.  Society tends to tell you what to do and how to follow rules, but they are the first ones to judge you if something goes wrong.  Hint- they are not blaming themselves, rather they blame the person who something happened to for not whole heartedly following societal rules.

I believe that a girl can call a guy, that she can go after who she wants and if that doesn't work, the guy may not be right for her.  Suppression of feelings and following the advice of friends may seem easier, but in the long run, it is not your friends dating the guy, it is you.  We get so wrapped up in what other people think that we miss the signs of something sparking or not sparking at all.

I didn't realize how much I followed the advice of others and how much that skewed my thought process until recently.  I was willing to continue talking to Guy A who I had absolutely no interest in, all because Guy B fell off my radar and had been dating other people.  Guy B may not seem like the right guy to my friends, but the fact of the matter is my friends only know him through me and the frustrations I have felt.  Guy A and I will not be seeing each other again.  As for Guy B, he is kind of a dipshit sometimes.  Here is where communication becomes key.  No I don't want to always be the one calling and texting, but maybe I need to suck it up and take the few times he does initiate first as a sign of interest and just be open about my feelings?
I mean clearly it can't get any weirder than it already is.  Maybe something can come of it or maybe my heart will be blended up again....

I have a responsibility to myself to be and open and honest with the person staring back at me in the mirror.  I don't owe society anything.  I don't have to take the advice I am given, whether solicited or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment